
When I first read this module assignment, I thought...Oh no! I had no idea what the program Inspiration was...let alone on-line concept mapping. After a couple hours on the he web reading and trying some things out, I can say once more that I have learned something new about technology!
Concept mapping is a way in which knowledge can be represented in graph form. A concept map allows learners to represent what they know in a "box" which holds a main idea. Once the learner has the basic idea down, he or she can add related ideas to the main box through line connections. A concept map allows for these line connectors to state key words such as "contains" or "represents" in order for the learner to have a better idea on how the two boxes are related.
Concept mapping, I believe, has much more advantages than it does disadvantages as it allows a fun and unique way for a student to learn. Concept mapping allows for learners to brainstorm and gather thoughts and ideas which may otherwise be confusing when trying to arrange them within the constraints of the mind. Although concept mapping can easily be done with a pen and paper, this new on-line form allows students to be creative as they web (literally!) out their knowledge. On-line concept mapping seems more like a cool game rather than work, and many new students are finding that this is in fact a fun way to learn. However, one disadvantage that faces new users of such on-line programs as Inspiration is that the learner will have to learn how to use yet another technology program. To youngsters who grow up around the new waves of the internet, this poses no problems, but for someone who may not be as computer savvy, the thought of learning how to use a new program is problematic. However, lucky for us that Inspiration is not hard to navigate through. Learners can operate the program very quickly and efficiently, and for those that are computer savvy, there are always new tools for you to try!
If I were to integrate concept mapping into my classroom I would most likely use it to help students identify plot lines and relationships between characters in a text (go English major!). However, abiding with my PSI goal of venturing out to try the unfamiliar, I have looked into how I would use Inspiration in a math class! After reading up on Inspiration, I really liked the idea of using the program as a tool to help students figure out math story problems. I like the idea of being able to map out the problem visually and see exactly which numbers should go where. I have always found that math is hard to picture in my mind, and to have this tool for the students to visualize the problem makes solving it seem a lot easier, fun, and stress-free. By integrating Inspiration into a math class lesson I am also ensuring that the students are meeting the following technological outcomes:
F6 1.1 perform basic computer operations (which may vary by environment), including powering up, inserting disks, moving the cursor, clicking on an icon, using pull-down menus, executing programs, saving files, retrieving files, printing, ejecting disks and powering down
P1 1.1 create original text, using word processing software, to communicate and demonstrate understanding of forms and techniques
P.2 2.2 display data electronically through graphs and charts
Overall, I believe that Inspiration is a great program to integrate into any subject matter as it encourages students to think and learn creatively.





1 comment:
Lindsay! I don't know that I've mastered this comment thing yet but I wanted to tell you I miss you and can't wait to see you in NZ! Now you behave yourself while you are over there. No more picking up any Kiwis (unless you save a hot one for me!) Love ya and miss ya
See yous oon :)
Post a Comment