
Since moving to High Level at the end of October I have had some time to learn more about Alberta's Aboriginal heritage....a topic that has interested me for many years. With High Level placed in between many reserve communities the population of Aboriginal people here is much greater than that of Southern Alberta. The schools alone are evident of this, and it wasn't until today, while teaching a grade four class about Albertan Heritage, that I realized how very little I actually know. During a class brainstorm we were talking about celebrations and ceremonies that we may find in our surrounding community. With my (very) Scottish upbringing I immediately thought about things that I personally identify with...Robbie Burns Day, Hogmanay, eating haggis and watching the BBC...you know, the typical! It wasn't until these students started shouting out things like "Feeding the Fire" (a ceremony that takes place on a reserve after the passing of one of its members), Sunrise and Peacepipe Ceremonies, the Walking Out Ceremony (a ceremony symbolizing the worth of everyone in Cree society) and Smudging (practiced for the personal healing of a tribe member or community) that I began to realize that I actually don't know very much at all about my own CANADIAN heritage. I was intrigued about what these students were telling me....how moccasins are made, how important moose meat is, and what role that music and drumming plays for them that I have begun to look further into the topic. With free Cree and Dene languages classes offered for the local community as well as many other cultural festivities, celebrations and events, I am hoping to broaden my knowledge of this intimate and historic community of which I know very little about. Until then, I leave you with this Cree proverb:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten."
No comments:
Post a Comment