Mission accomplished!
Twenty–four hours later I have now found myself comfortable in Gwangju – a city in the middle of the Jeollonamdo province of South Korea. Jeollanamdo is the third largest province in the country and is known mainly for its agriculture and fishing industries. There are 1 969 islands (62% of the national total) in the province and five major cities – one of which I will be living in for the next year (Mokpo). We are lucky enough to be in the temperate zone so the weather is mild and humid with an average temperature of 13.5 degrees Celsius.
We start orientation tomorrow – with a group lunch today which will gives us a good chance to meet all of the other foreign teachers that will be sent throughout the province. There are about 40 of us in total from places all over the world including Canada, US, South Africa, and England. I am sharing a room with a really nice girl named Kendra from Saskatoon who will be placed in the northeast part of the province after orientation. I have had the chance to meet a few really great people already as well; one is which is also placed in Mokpo (hoping she will be able to show me the ropes as this is her second year in Korea).
I am looking forward to finally getting to Mokpo and getting settled but know that this week will be a good way for me to ease into the swing of all things Korean. I have so far given Kimchi a fair go, and although I still find it pretty disgusting, it does have the potential to grow on me! So, for now…bring on the rice and noodles!





2 comments:
Wow, Korea! That's great Lindsay! Looking forward to reading about your new adventures there. - C.
Two days and 16 hours in!!! I hope that you're doing awesome!!
Post a Comment