One benefit of me being bilingual--well, no, that is not entirely true, although some would say my ability to understand my parent's ridiculously thick Scottish accents could count toward me knowing at least one other language. Because of this, I would like to think that I have a knack for understanding many other dialects and/or ridiculous phrases that exist amidst the English language. However, there are a few words of "Kiwi Talk" that I have struggled with since being here, thus, I have compiled a "Slang dictionary" of these terms (and others that I already knew, but thought may be useful for yourself) so that, in future, you can better understand me as I am trying ferociously to adopt one of these "oh-so-cool" Kiwi accents..sweet as!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Banger: sausage
bloke: usually a man, and often used when referring to a stranger as in; "There's this bloke down the road who sells greasies from his pie-cart for $1 a bag, which is much cheaper than that bloke who has a shop",
bludge: to sponge off others
bonk: to have sex with
bonnet: car hood
boot: car trunk
box of budgies: cheerful, happy, very good
brassed off: disappointed, annoyed
brekkie: Short for 'breakfast
cardy: woollen button-up-the-front jersey (also cardie)
chemist: pharmacy, drug store
chilly bin: cooler
choice: very good
chuffed: pleased
dairy: "corner" store originally only selling milk, bread, papers, convenience foods and dairy produce, and until the past decade or so, the only shop allowed to open 7 days a week. Still is the only shop allowed to open on Christmas day and Good Friday, for a few hours, and without a special licence.
doing the ton: Driving really, really fast!
dodgy: bad, unreliable, spoiled; as in "that fish is a bit dodgy".
fizzy: soda pop
good on ya: way to go
jandal: thongs, flip-flops
Kiwi: New Zealander
kiwi: an endangered flightless bird native to New Zealand
kiwifruit: hairy skinned fruit with lime green
knackered: stuffed; fagged out; rooted, as in "I am knackered"; "that bike is knackered" and surplus farm animals go to the "Knackers Yard"! (This word has MANY uses - few of them being optimistic!) L&P: fizzy soda water,
lemonade: 7Up
lift: elevator
lolly: candy
loo: toilet
Maori: indigenous people of New Zealand
naff off: get lost!
pack a sad: become morose, ill-humoured, moody
pakeha: non-Maori person
pie cart: affection term for a road-side or side-show food seller's converted mobile caravan, from which you can buy predominantly fast food take-aways such as pies, burgers, hot-dogs, fish and chips and such-like tasty treats
piece-of-piss: easy as in "that was a piece of piss to make"
pike out: to give up when the going gets tough
pikelet: small pancake often served with jam and whipped cream
plod: friendly term for local
rack off: go away (angry
rattle your dags: hurry up; get a move on
scarfie: university student, particularly from Universities of the South Island
she'll be right: not a problem, it'll be O.K.
sickie: as in "Throw a sickie":- to take time off work "officially" for illness, but more likely for a fun day!
squiz: as in "Have a squiz":- to take a look at something; "Giz a Squiz":- ask for a look at something
up the duff: pregnant
**terms courtsey of http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/links.htm#new%20z





1 comment:
"Ni Hao (or something like that)
I have been following your blog through your entire trip, and I have to
say it sounds amazing. I can fully understand and relate to any
frustrations you may encounter with the language barrier, as here in
Taiwan I am convinced Mandarin will defeat me!
I'm on my way home soon, I guess you can say I am 'piking out' (is that
right?)but your experience has reminded me about my passion for teaching.
So... with some thanks to you I am going back to finish my Ed degree.
New Zealand sounds amazing, and I am so happy to hear that you agree with
and enjoy the teaching style. I admire the passion with which you approach
life!
Lots of love,
Susan"
PS - last time I mentioned going home through New Zealand you sounded like
it may be a bit inconvienent, so I booked a ticket straight home... sorry
I would love to visit you, but I didnt want to impose. But if its ok with
you I will definitely visit in Australia (I kinda have relatives there)
and depending on $ (as always) I'll gladly make a trip to see the kiwis
(all three kinds!)
Post a Comment