"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy"
-Martin Luther King Jr.

New Journeys....

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Haere Mai (or welcome) to School...The First Day...

A sweaty me arrived at school at 5 minutes to eight this morning. I removed my shiny red helmet, quickly dismantled my iPod, and looked around for incoming teachers. Today marked the (much anticipated) first day of school at Banks Ave Primary, and what a day it was. I was soon after greeted by my TA, somewhat confused at her ability to sleep in this morning (I, on the other hand, barely had a wink, so I am not too sure who was better off...!). We headed to the classroom and after what seemed like minutes, were greeted by eager parents dropping off their counterparts at 8:30am. Amidst the swarm of children I was able to try and put a few names to faces before the morning bell rang and the classroom soon became a hustling venue for activity. With a few morning smiles my way and some stationary unpacking, I was then embraced wholeheartedly by the class with a welcoming (and in unison) Good Morning Ms. Forrest. After a chance to show the class my presentation on myself (complete with pictures of Canada, my family, and past travels) we were on to start the daily routine. From this I learned the following things:
1. My cursive writing needs some solid attention
2. The language barrier still does exist (note to self, Jovie means marker)
3. The students here seem to speak much more sophisticated than those back home--the words of one of my grade five students--"This year I would like to work on my confidence level and practice the school values such as empathy and positivity" (WOW!).
4. School goes fast, very fast!
It seemed as though we had just begun the day when the morning tea (recess) bell rang. Then, before I knew it, lunch had arrived. After a brief art project was started, it was time for the children to pack their bags, reflect on the day, and be sent home.
Today was definitely a quick one, but already I am beginning to see each child's personality come out as they become comfortable within their new classroom setting. I am eager for tomorrow to begin and am confident that it will show as much excitement and dedication from both the students and staff as today did.

2 comments:

Brad said...

Hi Lindsey,

Great to hear you had an interesting first day teachiing in NZ, and the difference in language. They call recess morning tea? I wish I was growing up in NZ!

Keep updating. Very Interesting.

Brad

Brad said...

Lindsay,

Sorry for spelling your name incorrectly. I never mastered vowels in elementary school. Perhaps I should go back.

Brad