"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy"
-Martin Luther King Jr.

New Journeys....

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ms. Forrest...the LIBRARIAN!!

This Monday I start a three day a week contract position as….a school Librarian! That’s right, for the next five weeks I will transform myself into a tight knit, bun wearing, high strung, smoking librarian….that’s what they’re all like right?

Thinking back to my own days in Primary School I remember being absolutely terrified of library time, knowing full well that if we didn’t have our books to return we would hear it. Story time was no longer a nice, relaxing way to start the day, but rather 30 minutes where we would sit in a terrified state fearing for our lives that our nametags may crinkle against jumpers as we tried to subtly change potions on the hard carpet seating tier.

Oh how far we have come in the educational world these days. Now, library time not only offers the changing of interactive books, but also a chance for students to update their electronic portfolio, add entries to their blogs, play on-line educational games with other children around the world, crack their skills at operating a smart-board, and still have time to indulge in that great relaxation of being read to. School has come such a long way since the 90’s. Already I find myself saying to students, “I remember when I was in school and we had to…”.

It is amazing to see the multi-faceted ways that we offer learning to our youth these days giving them more possibilities to excel that we could have ever dreamed of. This makes me so excited for the future of education, as the opportunities are really endless.

No comments: