"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy"
-Martin Luther King Jr.

New Journeys....

Sunday, January 28, 2007

First Day Jitters....

Banks Avenue School


When I was younger I would always get extremely nervous on the first day of school. I would dress myself in the new school clothes purchased just weeks before, and my Mum would take a picture of me at the front door to mark the arrival of a new school year (to this day we still judge growth by the height we are in comparison to our doorbell!).

I always liked school, and looked forward to the joining of old friends to exchange summer stories (mostly about bike clubs, picnics, and how Mrs. Thompson gave us a whole dollar for our one cent pictures that we sold on my driveway, to think, we thought we would have to draw 100!).

There is always a buzz in the air when school begins again, and there is (although most won't admit) and excitement about getting back into the groove of things. Even now, in university, I catch myself counting down the days until the good old Lethbridge move (which has occurred ten times to date, 19 if you count Christmas break!).

The start of school brings out an energy in people's emotions. Perhaps it is everyone still coming down off the high of the infamous school supply shopping (everybody loves a good pen...), but none-the-less, it is an excitement still the same. I find that as the start of a new school year comes closer and closer for New Zealand children, I too, am once again getting caught up in the excitement world wind. Although the traditional September start has long come and gone, February has been able to offer me the same exhilaration.

I have begun to get back to school jitters again, and am excited to meet the new people who I will interact with for the next four months. I hope that I can sustain their energy for school once the thrill of pens and new clothes has subsided. I hope to be able to enrich minds and spark creativity, to enthuse and humour others, to teach, and to inspire.

No comments: