"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy"
-Martin Luther King Jr.

New Journeys....

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Who would I be if I didn't know who I was?

In front of the New Zealand mountain range


I first realized that I would be living in New Zealand not when I was given permission to complete PSIII abroad, nor when booking my flights, nor upon knowing it would be a place in which I would spend a considerable amount of time, but rather, when talking with my best friend about how I would be more than 8000km away. Now after living in NZ for two weeks (to the day), I have begun to think about the definitions that we construct not only for ourselves, but for our culture and heritage, and also, the way these definitions affect the paths in which we chose to live our lives.

Matt Pond, singer and songwriter, so eloquently writes:
"Look back to see the trees and the wild, look back to see you smile"

Perhaps for me it has become these lines that help to appoint a definition to what I view as home. Although I may be 8000km away, my home rests both in nature and in the thoughts an memories of those that matter most to me.

I have begun to wonder however, what then defines us as Canadians? For all of the travellers that I have met along my journeys, it is our love for ice hockey, the cold weather, and our utter opposition to being classified as American (successfully avoided by the consistent plastering of maple leaf patches upon all of our travel bags--ensuring that our cultural identity isn't misconstrued). Many of these broad cultural classifications and concepts gauge accuracy for most Canadians (give or take a few comments about the fearsome beaver and what a poutine really is), but, like all others, we each also carry our own unique definition of what being Canadian means to us.

As a first generation Canadian, I find it quite easy to identify with two cultures, comforted by both my native attachment to Scotland, and my current attachment to Canada. Perhaps it is this seemingly transient identity that allows for me to find ease in new cultures, even if they offer me no sense of familiarity.

My own personal identity has been influenced and manipulated, not just by one, but rather, many contributing experiences. The beaches of Thailand, the castles of England, the hills of Scotland, and the comfort of my backyard in Canada have all helped in the development of who I have become today.

Although I remain quite comfortable with the person that I have become, I am in no way finished with manipulating and exploring the extents of my own personality. Who am I today? Who will I be tomorrow? What experiences are to be had in the future that will manipulate me and change who I have become?

I know that this trip marks the beginning of a very influential and important time in my life where I am able to experience new transitions and accept them with open arms. I love the fact that I am changing, yet still hold a great sense of appreciation for the events that have helped to mold me in the past.

As Matt Pond says, I will not forget to look back at the moments that have contributed to my life so far, however, I will also embrace the adventure of looking forward as I experience many new beginnings.

I know that New Zealand has, and will continue to be, one of these driving forces that changes who I will become.

No comments: