I have just spent the last few hours being able to talk with a local Maori named Hendley. He is a southern tribe Maori and his family has lived here for over 20 generations. He was telling me about his band that he is in (they have a jam house right on the beach) and I may have had the most refreshing conversation of my life with him.
After talking for a while about how music is an expression of the soul...I could hardly believe that he quoted Frederick Delius, and I am sure that he didn't even know, I am starting to feel like it is going to take a lot for me to leave this country. I am beginning to understand Braden (my NZ friend) a lot more too, today i saw a business man walking down the street with a full suit and no shoes!!
I have never felt so much at home in a place as I do here so quickly. This country is amazing.
Tonight was also a time of coming and going which was both sad and intriguing to me. Two of the urbaners (the group of people that live in our house(s) here...it is a lot like residence) are leaving to go back to their home countries (Canada and Japan). It was like the last day of school before you graduate, so many goodbyes with friends that they have become so close with along the way. It reminded me a lot of leaving Lethbridge, and how I felt to leave the people that I care the most about behind.
Toro and Garry (the two that were leaving) had such an amazing time here, and they are both really choice people. I am sad that I didn't get to know them more, but happy that I was given this opportunity to even meet them.
I am experiencing life...and learning so much about who I really am. I know it sounds really cheesy, but I am at peace.
I wish that you were all here to experience these emotions so that you could understand more, and I wish you were all here period. The wise words of Katy Niksic are really coming in to play for me now more than ever. "Love life".
But most importantly...experience it.





No comments:
Post a Comment