"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy"
-Martin Luther King Jr.

New Journeys....

Saturday, November 10, 2007

I'm Thankful for A & W Rootbeer...



With a day of races firmly up my sleeve, I was starting to feel as though I had really become an Australian…after all, I can say “Noi”! However, after all this culture assimilation, it was awesome to be able to revert back to a little piece of Canada. In the evening I went to one of Emma’s friends houses. Scott (a fellow Canadian) has been living with his girlfriend in Australia for four years now and every year they make sure that they celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. Since they had both been in Canada visiting during Thanksgiving, they decided to have the holiday on the weekend. With our wine and mashed potatoes in tow, we headed over knowing that I was going to be able to say “aboot” as much as I wanted without criticism!

The party was awesome, complete with A&W Rootbeer, Pumpkin Pie, Labatt, Canadian music playing all night (that’s right, Last Saskatchewan Pirate even came on), and the national anthem! As one of four honorary Canadians there I felt quite special! It was so great to have a little piece of home so far away. I truly have a new appreciation for this holiday, you really underestimate it’s power to bring people together until it can be done where you would least expect it.

No comments: