"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy"
-Martin Luther King Jr.

New Journeys....

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Sandy shores and sunny hearts.



I have spent the last few days at the beach admiring the shores of Australia. It was these past moments in which I remembered some previous writing that I had done that was quite relevant to my emotions of today. Below is a paragraph transcribed into a poem from a few years back. Enjoy!


My feet press into the hot sand as each movement makes the fragments of glass stir in different patterns around my toes. I can hear the calming of the waves rolling in and out as the evening tide begins to roll up on to the paper white beach. The sky glows with colors of the world as the purples and reds and yellows begin to change and move and transform within each other, a manipulation of the evening breeze. The sun rests on the horizon; it’s found its place on the ocean’s surface, like a bed that it snuggles into. Minute by minute the sun begins to sleep, disappearing into the waters as the life of today disappears with hopes of tomorrow. My face is illuminated by the deep red rays and I can feel its heat bounce off of my sultry cheeks. My shoulders have been browned by today, and the contrast of my white tank top against my skin makes me look and feel that I am a part of this cultural allure. I breathe in and the air is crisp as it slides in to my lungs, filling my body with its purity. I would rather be no other than here along the shore, romanticizing with the sun.


My feet pressing into hot sands
allow each particle to pattern around my toes

A glance ahead
offers calming waves
r o l l i n g
In and out
In and out
A paper white beach
darkened
by the effect of salty water
The sky transforming with colors of the world
Sultry red meets Seductive purple
Manipulations of the evening breeze

The sun tucks itself away into an ocean of the human race
Romanticized by what has been offered before me.

No comments: