"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy"
-Martin Luther King Jr.

New Journeys....

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Music and hemp and all that is good...



The other day I went to yet another Thanksgiving Dinner Party....it is funny to think that I have been celebrating Thanksgiving more in a country that doesn't even recognize the holiday than when I am in Canada! At the dinner party I met a really cool guy named Allan who owns his own business selling necklaces and bracelets, as well as really cool Seed Pod Hats made from Palm Trees from South America.

After talking to Allan for a while, and finding out that he needed some extra help for workers at his stall (he sells stock at various festivals and markets all around Australia and New Zealand) I quickly volunteered for the job....the chance to finally sell hemp at the beach, a dream come true!

Sooner than later, I had packed my things and Allan and I had headed two hours out of town to Queenscliff for a weekend music festival. The stall was unreal and I had so much fun working it. Although it was really long hours, the perks definitely won in the end. I mean, what could be better than getting into a wicked music festival for free plus being able to meet some really awesome people...and I haven't even got started about the Belgian Waffles or Ferris wheel yet!

In the evenings we headed into the grounds to see various bands play...with the mian headliner band (San Lazaro) happening to be a friend of mine who I met while teaching! We also saw Paul Kelly (an old timer Australian musician) and this really awesome guy named Gotye who was absolutely unreal with an indie/folk/electronic feel...

The only downfall of the weekend happened when Allan had left the stall for a few minutes to visit a friend's stall down the road when a gust of wind arose. I headed over to the necklace display to make sure that everything was still fastened securely and at that very moment a large C-Clamp used to secure the board fell about five feet and landed on my head. Minus the massive goose egg and tear stains on my shirt, the whole weekend was unreal.

No comments: